Caramel Apple & Walnut Betty
- 100g Whitworths Californian Walnuts, roughly chopped
- 100g Whitworths Sunshine Sultanas
- 250g plain flour
- 170g oats
- 180g light brown sugar
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 230g butter
- 200g Caramel Sauce (Nestle Carnation)
- 2 medium cooking apples
Ready… Steady… Bake…
- Preheat your oven to 160ºC / 140ºC Fan / Gas Mark 4 then grease and line a large rectangular tin (approx 21cm x 29cm)
- In a large bowl add the flour, brown sugar, bicarbonate of soda, salt and butter together and mix at low speed until crumbly.
- Pour a third of the crumble mix into the tin then press down a little. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, peel and cube the apples and place on the top of the baked base.
- Sprinkle over half the walnuts and sultanas then cover with a layer of the caramel sauce.
- Blend the rest of the walnuts with the crumble mixture then cover with another layer of sauce.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Delicious hot with custard or a scoop of ice cream (or even both!), or allow to cool completely in the tin (for about 2 hours) then cut into 16 bar slices for that handy scrummy snack.
- 15 mins
- 40-45 mins
- Makes 16