Frangipane Mince Pies
- 1 pack ready-rolled short-crust pastry
- for the mincemeat... 120g Whitworths Traditional Mixed Fruit
- 45g Whitworths Little Jewel Cranberries
- 10g Whitworths Chopped Almonds
- 30g dark brown sugar
- 20g shredded suet
- 1½ tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 small orange, zest and juice
- 35ml brandy
- 30g chunky apple sauce
- for the frangipane... 125g Whitworths Ground Almonds
- 125g caster sugar
- 75g unsalted butter
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 tsp cornflour
Ready… Steady… Bake…
- Into a large bowl add the mixed fruit, cranberries, chopped almonds, brown sugar, suet, spices, orange zest and juice, then the brandy and apple sauce. Stir well then cover and refrigerate for 24 hours before making the mince pies.
- Preheat your oven to 180⁰C/Fan 160⁰C/Gas Mark 4 then grease and flour the cups of a cupcake tin.
- Cut out 12 circles using a smooth pastry cutter to fit the cups of your tin, then press one circle into each cup. Add 20g of the mincemeat to each cup.
- For the frangipane... cream the butter and caster sugar together until light and fluffy then beat in the eggs one at a time, until the mixture is smooth. Stir in the ground almonds and cornflour.
- Top approx 20g of the frangipane mix on each mince pie then cut out some stars or whatever cutter you have suitable and place them on top of the frangipane.
- Bake in the centre of your pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then remove and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- 40 mins PLUS 24 hours soaking time
- 20-25 mins
- Makes 12