- 50g Whitworths Crystallised Fiery Ginger, finely chopped
- 350g plain flour
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 100g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 125g soft brown sugar
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- Writing icing to decorate
Ready… Steady… Bake…
- Preheat the oven to 190°C / Fan 170°C / Gas Mark 5 and grease 2 or 3 baking sheets.
- Sieve the flour, bicarbonate and ground ginger into a bowl.
- Rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs then stir in the sugar.
- Beat the syrup together with the egg and crystallised fiery ginger then stir into the crumb mixture.
- Mix to form a dough then, on a lightly floured surface knead until smooth.
- Roll out to a thickness of ½ cm, cut out 12 gingerbread men using a cutter (you can choose any cutter you like to match any occasion!), then place onto the baking sheets.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden.
- Loosen underneath whilst still warm with a palette knife but cool a little before placing onto a wire rack.
- When completely cold use writing icing to decorate (most supermarkets sell a variety of colours).
- 15 mins
- 12-15 mins
- Makes 12