Gluten Free Christmas Cake
- 280g Whitworths Juice Locked Raisins
- 320g Whitworths Chopped Almonds
- 60g Whitworths Little Jewel Cranberries
- 40g Whitworths Chopped Apricots
- 35g Whitworths Ground Almonds
- 140g unsalted butter
- 80g coconut sugar
- 130g gluten free buckwheat flour
- 2 oranges (juice of 1 and zest of 2)
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 3 medium eggs
- 100ml sherry
- Marzipan, icing and festive charms to decorate as required
Ready… Steady… Bake…
- Place the almonds, raisins, sultanas, cranberries and apricots into a bowl, pour over the sherry then add the zest of 1 orange. Soak for at least 24 hours or until the liquid has been asorbed.
- For the cake... preheat your oven to 140⁰C/Fan 120⁰C/Gas Mark 1 then double line an 8 inch cake tin.
- Cream the butter and the coconut sugar until smooth and creamy then whisk in the eggs until you have a smooth batter.
- Add the juice of 1 orange and the remaining zest.
- Sift the flour and mixed spice together in a large mixing bowl.
- Fold the flour and ground almonds into the batter mix, then carefully add the fruit and chopped almonds.
- Place the mixture into the tin then bake for 2½ to 3 hours until golden brown.
- Leave to cool in the tin. Once cool cover tightly with tin foil and store in a tin until needed.
- Marzipan and icing can be rolled out and added as optional extras.
- Decorate with holly, fruit and nuts and festive charms.
- 30 mins plus 24 hours soaking
- 2.5 to 3 hours
- Makes 12