Tiny Fruity Cakes
- 350g Whitworths Traditional Mixed Fruit
- 30g Whitworths Chopped Almonds
- 150g unsalted butter, plus a little extra for greasing
- 150g dark brown soft sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 small orange, finely grated zest
- 150g plain flour
- 3g mixed spice
- 100g glace cherries, halved
Ready… Steady… Bake…
- Preheat your oven to 140ºC / Fan 120ºC / gas mark 1 then lightly grease 12 cups of a large muffin tin with a little extra butter.
- Beat the butter and brown sugar together, until light and fluffy, then add the eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after each one.
- Stir in the orange zest. Sift the flour and mixed spice then gently fold into the mix.
- Fold in the mixed fruit, cherries and almonds.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the greased cups then smooth the surface level.
- Bake on the bottom shelf of your preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Test the cakes are fully cooked by inserting a skewer into the centre of a cake near to the middle of the tray, when it’s cooked the skewer will come out clean.
- Leave to cool for 1 hour in the tin then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container. Best enjoyed after a few days when the flavours have matured.
- These make great gifts, you can always turn them over and marzipan the ‘base’ of each one!