Apricot & Almond Butterfly Cakes
- 75g Whitworths Ground Almonds
- 140g Whitworths Chopped Apricots
- 3 medium eggs
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 150g self raising flour
- 150g salted butter
- 30ml milk
- For the topping...
- 2tbsp apricot jam
- 250g icing sugar, plus a little extra for dusting
- 125g unsalted butter
- 1tbsp milk
- 1tsp almond essence
- ¼ tsp orange colouring
Ready… Steady… Bake…
- Preheat your oven to 180°C / Fan 160°C / Gas Mark 5 then place 12 cake cases into a muffin tin.
- Beat the caster sugar together until soft and creamy, then add one egg at a time beating thoroughly between each one.
- Fold in the flour, almonds, chopped apricots and milk.
- Divide equally between the cake cases then bake in the centre of your preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until golden.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 10 inutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for the topping... cream the butter until smooth then gradually beat in the icing sugar to a smooth firm consistency. Add the milk, almond essence and colouring then beat well.
- Using a sharp knife, cut an upside down shallow cone shape out of the top of the cakes. Cut this in half to make the wings.
- Place a small amount of jam into each of the holes then pipe icing on top to cover the jam, then add the ‘wings’. Sprinkle with a dusting of icing sugar then serve and enjoy!