- 25 mins PLUS rest 1hour15mins
- 25-30 mins
- Makes 20
- 50g Whitworths Flaked Almonds
- 360g unsalted butter
- 120g icing sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 240g plain flour
- 4 tbsp seedless raspberry jam
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
Ready… Steady… Bake…
- Preheat your oven to 180⁰C/Fan 160⁰C/Gas Mark 4 then lightly grease a swiss roll tin (33cm x 22.5cm)
- To make the pastry… beat 210g butter and all of the icing sugar together in a bowl, until soft and pale.
- Add 1 egg and beat until smooth then fold in the plain flour until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl.
- Flour your work surface then knead the dough until smooth. Shape into a ball then cover in cling film and rest in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Dust your work surface with flour again then roll out the pastry to 350x250mm. Using a rolling pin lift into the tin then press onto the base and sides gently. Trim off any excess around the top with a sharp knife then return to the refrigerator for 15 minutes to rest.
- Spread the jam evenly over the pastry base then set aside.
- To make the sponge... Beat the almond extract, caster sugar, self raising flour, baking powder, the remaining butter and eggs all together in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Spoon the batter onto the top of the jam, smooth the surface flat then scatter with the flaked almonds.
- Bake in the centre of your preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until well risen and golden (the surface should spring back when pressed).
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely before slicing into rectangles, then serve and enjoy!