- 8-10 minutes per batch
Christmas Tree Stained Glass Biscuits
- 80g Whitworths Block Dates, finely chopped
- 25g Whitworths Crystallised Fiery Ginger, finely chopped
- 200g plain flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3g mixed spice
- 85g butter, softened
- 100g brown sugar
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 30ml water
- 20 hard boiled sweets, crushed
- 50g icing sugar
- 1 reel festive ribbon
Ready… Steady… Bake…
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC/Fan 160ºC/Gas Mark 5 then grease 4 baking sheets.
- Heat the dates and water in a small pan, over a medium heat, until the dates become soft and mushy then set aside.
- Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda and mixed spice into a mixing bowl then rub in the butter to form a crumb.
- Stir in the sugar then add the golden syrup, ginger and softened dates. Stir to form a dough.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out to ½cm and cut out 20 festive shapes, place onto the baking sheets then using smaller cutters cut out the centres.
- Fill the centres with the crushed boiled sweets, using an assortment of colours works really well then bake for 8-10 minutes until golden.
- Whilst the baked biscuits are still hot and soft, make a small hole for the ribbon using a skewer then allow to completely cool in their trays
- When cooled dust with icing sugar then thread ribbon though the holes and tie to loop.
- Hang a selection on your Christmas Tree and enjoy the rest! (they will keep for a week in an airtight container)