Cranberry & Almond Christmas Cake
- 150g Whitworths Little Jewel Cranberries
- 220g Whitworths Ground Almonds
- 25g Whitworths Flaked Almonds
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g caster sugar + 3tbsp for topping
- 4 medium eggs
- 50g plain flour
- pinch of salt
Ready… Steady… Bake…
- Preheat your oven to 1890⁰C/Fan 170⁰C/Gas Mark 5 then line a 19cm cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Soak the cranberries in the orange juice and leave for at least 30 minutes.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy then add the eggs one at a time, beating in between each one.
- Fold in the ground almonds, flour and salt.
- Drain the cranberries then add two thirds to the batter.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the tin then smooth over the top with a spoon.
- Mix the remaining cranberries, extra 3tbsp sugar, the flaked almonds and orange zest then spinkle over the top of the cake mix.
- Cover the cake tin with kitchen foil (helps prevent the top from burning!) then bake for 90 minutes. Leave to cool for at least half an hour then wrap with festive ribbon.