Fruity Soda Bread
- 50g Whitworths Juice Locked Raisins
- 50g Whitworths Chopped Sayer Dates, finely chopped
- 50g Whitworths Sunshine Sultanas
- 30g Whitworths Californian Walnuts, finely chopped
- 100g rolled porridge oats
- 25g unalted butter
- 200g plain flour
- 200g strong wholemeal flour
- 100g caster sugar
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1tsp salt
- 1½ tsp mixed spice
- 450mls buttermilk
- 2tsp demerara sugar
Ready… Steady… Bake…
- Preheat your oven to 190ºC / 170ºC Fan / Gas Mark 5, then flour a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl rub together the oats and butter, until they resemble breadcrumbs.
- Sieve the flours, bicarbonate of soda, salt and mixed spice and add to the mix.
- Add the caster sugar, raisins, sultanas, chopped dates and chopped walnuts then pour in the buttermilk and stir with a knife to form a dough.
- The dough will be quite wet so place it onto a floured surface then gently bring together into a ball with your hands.
- Place onto your floured baking sheet, sprinkle with the demerara sugar then tap the sugar lightly into the top.
- With a knife place a cross on the top then bake for 35-40 minutes until golden.
- Cool slightly then place onto a wire rack to cool completely - great served either hot or cold simply with a bit of butter.