- 10 mins + fruit soaking time
- 50-55 mins
Fruity Tea Loaf
- 200g Whitworths Traditional Mixed Fruit
- 60ml hot tea
- 225g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 100g light brown sugar
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 3-4 tbsp milk
Ready… Steady… Bake…
- Soak the fruit in the tea (leave for a few hours if you have time).
- Preheat your oven to 180°C / Fan 160°C / Gas Mark 4 then grease and line the base of a loaf tin (21.5 x 11.5cm).
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a bowl then rub in the butter until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar and egg to the fruit mixture, stirring well, then mix with enough milk to make a dropping consistency.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin, level the top then bake for 50-55 minutes until golden and well risen (test with a skewer, if it comes out clean it is cooked).
- Cool in the tin for 10 mins then turn out on a wire rack.
- When ready to serve, cut into thick slices then spread with butter, delightfully delicious!