- 50g Whitworths Crystallised Fiery Ginger, finely chopped
- 350g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 125g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 150g soft brown sugar
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- To decorate: white icing and 24 currants
Ready… Steady… Bake…
- Preheat your oven to 190⁰C/Fan 170⁰C/Gas Mark 5 then lightly grease 2 or 3 baking trays.
- Sieve the flour, bicarbonate, ground ginger and cinnamon into a bowl. Rub in the butter to a breadcrumb then stir in the sugar.
- Beat the syrup together with the egg and crystallised ginger then stir into the crumb mix.
- Mix to form a dough then knead until smooth on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll out to 5mm thick, cutting out 12 mummies with a gingerbread man cutter.
- Place onto the baking sheets then bake for 12-15 minutes until golden.
- Loosen with a palette knife whilst still warm, cool slightly before transferring onto a wire rack.
- When completely cold, place white icing into a piping bag then decorate with thick linesfor the bandages, finishing with 2 currants for the eyes.
- 15 minutes
- 12-15 minutes
- Makes 12