Vegetable Tagine with Moroccan Grains
- 2 pouches Whitworths Protein by Nature Moroccan Grains
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 aubergines, chopped into 1 inch squares
- 2 large red onion cut into wedges and layers separated
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 tsp ras al hanout spice mix (alternatively use garam masala)
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 x 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 1 x 400g tinned chickpeas (do not drain)
- 2 preserved lemons
- 1/2 tsp Saffron (optional)
- 8 dried apricots chopped
- 20g fresh parsley, chopped
- To make the tagine, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and add in the chopped Carrots and cook for 5 minutes before adding in the aubergine, red onion, garlic, ginger, ras al hanout, cumin seeds, cinnamon and black pepper. Cook for a further 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, stock, chickpeas with its water, persevered lemons and saffron. Mix thoroughly before reducing the heat to low, covering and allowing to simmer for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Once the Tagine has simmered and reduced, stir in the apricots and chopped parsley.
- Cook the Whitworths Protein by Nature Moroccan Grains as per back of pack instructions and spoon into a serving bowl and serve alongside the Tagine.