Vegetarian Cottage Pie
- 100g Great Scot Red Split Lentils
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 425ml vegetable stock, hot
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 100g frozen peas
- 3 tbsp pesto sauce
- Salt and black pepper
- 1kg white potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 25g salted butter
- 75g mature cheddar cheese, grated
Ready… Steady… Bake…
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and carrot. Cook for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the tomatoes, stock, tomato purée and lentils, bring to the boil and cook for 15-20 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in plenty of water until soft, then drain and mash with the butter and half of the cheese.
- Add the peas and pesto to the lentil mixture and cook for 2-3 minutes, season and pour into an ovenproof dish.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes over the top of the lentil mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and place under a medium grill until golden brown and a little crispy. Serve with steamed vegetables.