What Are The Most Popular Fruits?
Fruit, whether fresh or dried is loved my people of all ages. But there are so many varieties out there to enjoy, so who could choose a favourite? In this blog post we explore the top five most popular fruits in the world, based on the amount produced and consumed:
- Tomatoes: some argue that tomatoes are not a fruit, but they are! What we can all agree on is that they are low in calories, packed with vitamins C and K, potassium, and folate, and lastly that they also carry an important antioxidant compound called lycopene.
- Apples: an apple a day keeps the doctor away… Apples are a source of vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, C, E, K, potassium, manganese, and copper. They also lower cholesterol, improve bone health, and enhance brain function – what can’t they do?!
- Bananas: bananas are great for all, but especially loved by sporty individuals. Interestingly, bananas have high levels of potassium, which may prevent stroke, high blood pressure, and heart disease. They also help to tackle cramping and muscle fatigue after an intense workout.
- Oranges: one large orangecan serve as much as 20% of your daily fibre requirements. It’s also packed with antioxidants like phenolics and carotenoids.
- Mangoes: mangoes are loaded with vitamins B5, B6, C, E, K, dietary fiber, copper, folate, niacin, potassium, riboflavin, manganese, thiamine, and magnesium – this list is one of the reasons we wanted to write a post to help showcase them. They are also delicious whether fresh or dried.
In the eyes of Whitworths, bananas and mangoes are our top two. Here are a couple of recipes to try out that include them: