- 30mins, plus 24 hours soaking, plus 45 mins resting
- 20-25 mins
- Makes 12
Starry Mince Pies
- For the mincemeat... 150g Whitworths Traditional Mixed Fruit
- 50g Whitworths Little Jewel Cranberries
- 10g Whitworths Chopped Almonds
- 30g dark brown soft sugar
- 20g shredded vegetable suet
- 3½ tsp ground mixed spice
- 1 small orange, finely grated zest and juice
- 35ml brandy
- 90g chunky apple sauce
- For the pies... 300g plain flour, plus a little extra for flouring the tin pinch of salt
- 200g unsalted butter, plus a little extra for greasing the tin
- 50g icing sugar, plus a little extra for dusting
- 1 medium egg yolk
- 1½ tbsp water
Ready… Steady… Bake…
- For the mincemeat... mix the Traditional Mixed Fruit, Little Jewel Cranberries, Chopped Almonds,brown sugar, suet, mixed spice, orange zest and juice with the brandy and apple sauce. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- For the pies...Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl then rub in the butter to a fine breadcrumb.
- Mix in the icing sugar, egg yolk and water until a soft dough forms then cover and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC / Fan 160ºC / gas mark 4 then grease and flour the cups of a cupcake tin.
- Lightly dust your worktop with a little extra icing sugar then roll out the pastry to a thickness of 4mm.
- Cut out 12 circles using a fluted pastry cutter for the base then cut a further 12 snowflake or star shapes for the tops, re-rolling the pastry if necessary.
- Place on circle into each cup then divide the mincemeat evenly between the pastry cases. Top with a snowflake (or star) then rest for 15 minutes in the fridge.
- Bake in the centre of your pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust the tops with a little extra icing sugar then enjoy!