Roasted Aubergine, Walnut & Lentil Ragu
If you are looking for an easy plant based recipe to try this Veganuary you have to make our Roasted Aubergine, Walnut & Lentil Ragu! This delicious recipe was created by Happy Skin Kitchen, in collaboration with California Walnuts.
- 2 small aubergines
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion - finely diced
- 1 carrot - peeled and finely diced
- 40g Whitworths Californian Walnuts - finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic -minced
- 1 red chilli - diced
- 2 large tomatoes- chopped
- 60g tomato paste
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 200g cooked puy lentils (or 100g dried lentils, cooked)
- 1-2 dried bay leaves
- 300ml water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 225g dried spaghetti of your choice
- To garnish: Small handful of parsley, finely chopped
- 30g Whitworths Californian Walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Rinse and dry the aubergines, then prick them all over with a fork. Place on a baking tray and roast in the oven for about 1 hour until they are completely softened and collapsed, turning every 20 minutes.
- Remove the aubergines from the oven and leave to cool, then cut them in half and scoop out the flesh and transfer to a chopping board. Roughly chop the aubergine flesh and set aside in a bowl.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium, and once hot, sauté the onion and carrot for 4-5 minutes until softened. Add the chopped walnuts and fry for another 5 minutes before adding the garlic and chilli. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, and red wine vinegar and cook for another 10 minutes until the tomatoes are soft enough to gently mash with a spoon.
- Finally, add the aubergine, cooked lentils, bay leaves, and water, reduce the heat to medium-low, and continue cooking for 20-30 minutes until most of the water has reduced and the sauce has thickened to your liking. Season generously with salt and pepper to taste.
- While the ragu simmers, cook the pasta in salted, boiling water to al dente. Reserve some of the starchy pasta cooking water, then drain and transfer the spaghetti to the pan with the sauce. Stir the pasta into the sauce until the noodles are completely coated, adding a little pasta water as needed to loosen the sauce.
- Serve immediately and garnish with fresh parsley and chopped walnuts.