Sugar Free Courgette Muffins
- 125g Whitworths Blocked Dates, chopped
- 100g Whitworths Ground Almonds
- 50g Whitworths Juice Locked Raisins
- 150g self raising flour
- 4tsp ground mixed spice
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 100mls sunflower oil
- 4tbsp orange juice, retain the zest for the topping
- 300g courgettes, coarsely grated
- pinch of salt
- FOR THE TOPPING
- 250g fat free quark
- 50g runny honey
- zest from orange
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C/160°C fan or gas mark 5. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases.
- Place the chopped dates and orange juice into a small pan then warm gently for approximately 2 minutes, until the dates are soft, stirring all the time. When the dates are soft mash them into a paste with a fork or potato masher.
- Mix the flour ground almonds, mixed spice, bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of salt together in a large bowl. Mix again until most of the lumps have dispersed.
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs and sunflower oil together, until it’s a little frothy, then add to the date paste and mix again until smooth and well mixed.
- Combine the egg mixture, flour mixture, raisins and courgettes together then divide between the muffin cases.
- Bake in the centre of your oven for 25-30 minutes, until risen - they will look brown as the dates caramelise on cooking so check they are cooked by inserting a skewer into the centre - if it comes out clean they are cooked.
- Leave in the tin to cool slightly then place on a wire rack to cool completely.
FOR THE TOPPING: mix the quark, honey and orange zest together then spread over the top of the muffins - serve and enjoy!